(Photo by Chris Fries -- 2012. Amish Farm)
Around here, most of the summer has been spent struggling through a drought. The ground has been painfully dry and farmers in the region have had to take extra irrigation measures to cultivate their crops.
I’ve had my own drought this summer – despite good intentions, my writing output has dwindled and I’m at risk of letting several things wither and die on the vine. I need to start taking my own extra irrigation measures to cultivate my crop of writing.
One of those measures is to begin defining concrete and specific writing goals for each month, and to share them here for added accountability and weight. I’m hoping that having publicly posted deadlines will help add some irrigation to my arid field of writing output.
So for the month of August, my ten specific writing (and blogging) goals are to:
- Give my short story “Too Quiet” a final once-over and resubmit.
- Finish the editing of the revised “Waiting Backstage” short story and resubmit.
- Complete the requested revision of “Apologies” and resubmit.
- Write at least one new short story or flash piece and submit.
- Create at least one micro flash piece and submit.
- Finish the outline for the revision of my WIP novel, and revise at least the first chapter.
- Complete the post for Nicole’s Olympic Blog Relay and submit to her for posting on August 6th.
- Vote on each entry in DL’s WRiTE CLUB 2012 competition (twice per week).
- Add a new post on this blog at least once each week (preferably twice).
- Read and comment on at least ten blogs I follow each week.
Maybe having defined and documented goals will help motivate me and – more importantly – help keep me focused on my writing amid the craziness of everyday life.
* * * * * * * *
In other blogging news, Gina at The Diary of a Writer in Progress recently gave me a couple of blogging award HERE – the"Fabulous Blog" ribbon and a "Be Inspired" award:
OK, the "Be Inspired" award, has a, ummm, less-than-inspiring badge, doesn't it? But the awards themselves were kindly given and I will graciously accept them with a sincere "Thank You!" to Gina.
The rules for these are to simply thank the person who passed them on to me (done), and then pass them on to six other deserving bloggers.
So the six I nominate are:
- Jes at .a sort of mental squint
- Mina Lobo at Some Dark Romantic (she's already received the "Fabulous" award, but certainly deserves the "Be Inspired" award too)
- L. G. Keltner at Writing Off the Edge (another "Fabulous" award holder who gets the "Be Inspired" award)
- Nicole at Write Me A World
- Tonya at Tonya's Musings
- Elise Fallson at her self-titled blog
Congratulations to each of you! You all deserve the blogging recognition!