Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Update: Quest for Story and WRiTE Club



Hi!  Just wanted to give an update that I WILL be finishing the last two posts in my ten-part Quest For Story series, and that part Nine should be up in the next day or two.

But in the meantime, I'd like to once again plug WRiTE Club 2012 over on DL Hammons blog and encourage you to visit, read, enjoy, and vote.

DL started this contest between anonymous 500-word writing samples way back at the end of July, and it's been going ever since.  There were originally over 70 contestants who were whittled down to 36 preliminary-round winners, 18 first-round winners, and now just TEN contestants remain (9 winners and a wildcard).  These five bouts are running this week and for this round, the writers have submitted NEW 500-word entries, and it is really interesting to see the new pieces:

Bout one was Monday (HERE), bout two was yesterday (HERE), and bout three is up today (HERE).  And then you can pop into DL's Blog tomorrow and Friday to see the next two bouts -- voting on all of them ends Sunday at Noon.

This round will result in five winners and another wildcard (the highest vote-getter among the non-winners), and they will go head-to-head in three bouts next week.

Then, the week of 11/25 will see those three winners and another wildcard go through two bouts where the two finalists will be chosen.

The final winner will be selected from those two by a panel of professional agents, editors, and other writers.

If you have not been participating, I encourage you to do so -- the entries are great, and through these next few rounds where wildcard winners are chosen, every vote carries a lot of weight.

Come and join the fun!  Just click HERE!


15 comments:

Nicole said...

Write Club is indeed pretty darn awesome! Kudos to DL and his crew for making it run so smoothly, and good luck to the winners.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've been voting!

Suze said...

I voted today, too! It's been a good run.

Chris, I'm looking forward to the rest of your quest series. A writer friend of mine who I get together with on a regular basis and who also does a bit of blog-hopping mentioned to me over lunch that she thought your series was very useful. Just thought you'd like to know. :)

S.P. Bowers said...

I've been voting, even though I was pretty bummed about getting voted out in round two.

Faith E. Hough said...

Write Club has been great, even after being voted off. It's really encouraging to see some other commenters are still sticking with the voting even though they're out of the competition, too!
I do hope we can get some more voters to stop by for the talented writers still in the running.

Georgina Morales said...

I just love their logo, so cool! The idea also sounds amazing, I'll have to check it out. I don't know how you do it, but you always know about the coolest contests and bloghops around. As always, thanks for sharing, Chris!

DL Hammons said...

Thanks for the WRiTE CLUB shout-out Chris!! It's been an amazing (albeit lengthy) run and now that we're down to the end it really is exciting! Can't wait to crown another champion! :)

StratPlayerCJF said...

@Nicole: I completely second all of that!

@Alex: Yes indeed, and given how busy and demanding your multitude of other blogligations are, I am once again awed and very impressed with the omnipresent Ninja Captain!

@Suze: Aw, shucks -- now you made me blush. That really gives me a smile to know that. Thank you so much for the uplifting words, Suze!

@S.P.: I totally understand. WRiTE Club is a great series and the talent of the writers has been pretty amazing, but the format also means that 71 of the 72 original entries are going to get voted out. That's a pretty high rejection ratio.

@Faith: I agree! I'm voting and trying to give helpful feedback all the way to the end. I did last year, too. ;^)

@Gina: Please do, Gina. It's been really enjoyable to see all the entries, and the comments have been helpful and interesting -- it's amazing how different readers can see a piece of writing.

@DL: You're more than welcome, Don! And it is exciting -- I'm looking forward to see who walks away with the trophy -- there have been a LOT of really great contestants this year!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

The Write Club has been even more fun than I expected. Some truly exceptional work there.

Luanne G. Smith said...

Wow, that sounds grueling but awesome. Cage matches for writers.

Cherie Reich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cherie Reich said...

Thanks for the reminder about Write Club. :)

(I had said Fight Club. I swear it's too early in the morning...even though it's afternoon here.)

LTM said...

Oh, I LOVE WRiTE CLUB, AND DL, and I think that's where we met, isn't it? I think I was the one always agreeing with your insightful, helpful comments! I HATE that I've had to miss so much of it this go-round.

What a GREAT help and resource for writers. Yes, everybody run check it out! It's a fantastic tool and idea. :o) <3

Happy Thanksgiving, Chris!

Suze said...

Chris, I hope you had a terrific Thanksgiving! Thanks for your well-wishes over at the Coffee. :)

StratPlayerCJF said...

To all: I apologize for the FAR-TOO-LONG time I took to respond to your comment! I really do appreciate you taking the time to visit and comment on my blog.

@Susan: Yes it has been fun! I'll have a wrap-up post next week about my thoughts from the contest.

@L.G.: Yeah, pretty much -- but fun, too. It's also been a long marathon this year. Literary war by attrition, lol!

@Cherie: You're welcome. And no problem -- if I had a nickle for every typo I've made in comments, I'd be pretty rich. ;^)

@LTM: Thanks, Leigh! I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and that your new book is doing great! It looks wonderful, and I've been very impressed by the opening I read on amazon. Not my age-group or typical genre, but I REALLY liked it! Fabulous work!

@Suze: I hope yours was terrific, too! And you're more than welcome! I'm very sorry I missed last weeks False-Start-Friday.