Monday, May 9, 2011

Thoughts at Large: How Often?


As I set down to write a new post, I felt like I should begin with an apology for not having put anything new on this blog since last Wednesday.  I have been busy, and I certainly don't want anyone who visits here to ever think they're ignored or unappreciated, or that I don't care enough about them to post new material for them to read.

But then, I began to wonder:  How often should I actually be posting?  

Once a day is probably unrealistic given my schedule, but once a week seems like it might be too lax.  So what's the right balance?  Heck if I know -- I'm new at this blogification thing, remember?


Well, in the intent to gain some insight, I did a Google search for "blog posting frequency" and sampled some of the multitude of things that came up, and from those, it is clear that I should:

  • Post every day to keep my blog fresh and to generate traffic.
  • Post only around once a week or so, to avoid alienating my readership with information overload.
  • Post as often as I like on a casual schedule, whenever I have something new to say.
  • Post on a rigorous, fixed schedule so my readers know when to expect new material
  • Post as often as possible, even several times a day, to become a wide-read voice in the blogosphere
  • Post only when needed, and aim only for my 'target audience'.

Ummm, yeah....  Well, that certainly clears things up. 

There seems to be as many opinions as there are blogs.

Thinking about it, I have to remind myself that my intent here is not to blog simply for the sake of blogging.  I'm posting in order to share information on my writing, give people samples of it, and to document my progress as I write, seek publication, and do other writer-ish things.

So I guess it's really up to me, and of course -- to what my readers might prefer.   If you're reading this and you have some thoughts about how often you'd like to hear from me, please let me know.  I'm curious to know what you'd like.  

In the meantime, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing -- shooting to put up a new post a couple of times a week or so, on a semi-regular schedule.   

Hope that's ok...  I apologize if not (see?  I knew I'd get an apology in there).

No comments: