Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Writing Sample: 50-Word Stories II


For this update, I'll give you another writing sample in the form of a few more fifty-word stories.  As I posted BEFORE, the idea of these stories comes from the blog 50-Word Stories where a new fifty-word story offered every day.

As I said in that previous post, the concept is simple – each story should be exactly fifty words.  Not 49, not 51 – 50 words exactly.  It's fun and a little challenging, but I like how just a little twist can really make these interesting.

I had mentioned before that I'd sent a sample of my 50-word stories ("She Left") to the owner of the blog as a possible submission.  However, I've heard nothing back so far -- either he hasn't had a chance to get to it yet (his site did mention that he'd recently gotten married and that surely eats into a blogger's time), or it's the dreaded "no reply = NO" submission response.

I'll probably try e-mailing at least once more, with a few more of these, just to see if there's any interest. 

But at least there's no issue of exclusivity according to his submission guidelines, so I'm always free to post them here on my own blog, regardless if he accepts them or not.

As always, I hope you enjoy these, and your comments and feedback are always welcome and much appreciated!

=====


Discarded Emotions


Susan saw them in front of the drug store, and wondered why they were there.

Had a nervous fellow stood up a first date?  Had an angry girlfriend shown her disdain?

They were still beautiful -- a bundle of brilliant color crushed between crumpled candy bags.

Flowers in the trash.

=====
 
Can't Get a Taxi


His head throbbed and he could barely raise his arms.

Yet a gaping hunger overpowered the pain.

Shuffling slowly down the street, he headed towards the mall.

He moaned, wishing he could just take a cab, but he knew they'd never pick him up.

It wasn't easy being a zombie.

=====

The Great Hunter


Samson closed in for the kill.

The target was wary; likely to bolt at the slightest noise.  But Samson was skilled and stealthy, and few escaped.

Then his prey flew away.

Samson swished his tail and watched the fly land on the ceiling.

Just another day in a cat's life.

=====

(c) Copyright 2011, Christopher J. Fries.

No comments: