Monday, April 2, 2012

A to Z Blogging Challenge: B is for...




...Believable!

For remaining entries in the 2012 A-to-Z Challenge, I will be focusing on writing elements that I find important and that I want to incorporate into my work.

Today, the topic is BELIEVABLE

As a writer of fiction, I lean towards mysteries and speculative fiction.  Fiction, by a loose definition, might be "stuff I make up," and so my style of fiction might be "weird, creepy, or other-worldly stuff I make up." 

So, first and foremost, before even considering anything else, I want to write stories that my readers believe in.  Not that a reader should think my stories are absolutely true, but that they think a story might be.  That's where the fun is -- taking the reader into a world where they're willing to suspend their disbelief and enjoy the ride.

Nothing is worse than setting up a story and then having the reader see the strings holding up the spaceships, the hand in the puppet, or the man behind the curtain.  My goal is to have no gaping plot holes, no cheesy situations, and no trite characters that cause readers to roll their eyes and quit reading. 

So I hope I am always successful at making my stories, no matter how bizarre, still be believable. 

You believe me, don't you?

Thanks for visiting on B-day -- See you the rest of this month for more alphabetical fun!

Don't forget to visit HERE to see all the bloggers taking part in this A-to-Z challenge, and try to drop in on as many of them as you can!

9 comments:

.jessica. said...

Absolutely. It is the WORST when you're completely engrossed in a story and then suddenly something happens that feels false - something that's out of character or completely unlikely or, worst of all, that breaks the implicit rules of the story's universe. Writing a believable story is so key.

Great post! Thanks!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Great B word! Nothing worse than a techno-thriller or historical novel with factual holes big enough to drive a Greyhound bus through. (I loved your comment about broad-casting and dude-casting.)Happy A-Zing!

Margo Kelly said...

Agreed! The story must be believable. The trick is to write the outrageous plot elements in such a way that the reader nods her head and say, "Yes, I can see that!"

haha!

Great post!

Jess and Judy said...

If there are elements of the unbelievable it affects the credibility of the whole work for me. Hmmm, its just occurs to me that C is for credibility... good luck with the rest of the Challenge.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I like the definition of what you write. "weird, creepy, or other-worldly stuff I make up." Sounds good to me! There's too much classification in this fiction world.

Aside from that, I'm your co-host for the A-to-Z! If you didn't get an email from me the other day, it may have gone in your spam box. Please feel free to contact me via my profile or reply to that email if you need anything or have any questions.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

DL Hammons said...

Amen brother...amen! Like you, everything I try to do is rooted in believability! Such a critical aspect of fiction writing.

Georgina Morales said...

You are totally right. I've read a few stories when you can't really feel the story because you can almost see the author moving about behind the scenes. Not cool at all.

Best of luck and thanks for commenting on my blog!
From Diary of a Writer in Progress

StratPlayerCJF said...

@ jessica: Thank you for the positive words and great thoughts!

@ Susan: Thanks! I agree, and definitely appreciate your comments.

@ Margo: Absolutely -- I think readers are always willing to suspend their disbelief if you give them the proper guidance and stay with it. Thank you for the comment!

@ Jess and Judy: Thanks! That's a great "C" word, too!

@ Shannon: Thanks, and pleased to meet'cha! Thank you for the visit and the support!

@ DL: Thanks, Don!

@ Gina: Thank you!

Simon Kewin said...

It's interesting how people will accept big lies like we spec. fic writers use, but quibble about little inconsistencies. You're right, it always has to be believable and consistent.